Proceedings Of The Marine

SPR 2015

Proceedings magazine is a communication tool for the Coast Guard's Marine Safety & Security Council. Each quarterly magazine focuses on a specific theme of interest to the marine industry.

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 26 of 102

24 Proceedings Spring 2015 20 feet. After a few more passes by the tug, the ship refoated with no damage. In February 1978, we few in a C-130 to Stewart Air Force Base, New York, to respond to a barge taking on water in the Hudson River. It was a bad landing in snow with zero– degree weather. We went to the barge via the CGC Sweetgum and used ADAPTS to stop the barge from sinking. We had a lot of problems, as ice was up to three feet thick on the Hudson River. We used the barge's engine/pump to remove No. 6 oil and refoated the vessel. The after-rake on an ice-covered barge fooded in January 1978, and the tug put the barge aground at Eatons Neck in Long Island, New York. No. 2 oil was released from the barge but dissipated, as it was very rough. LT Joe Kuchin, BM2 Jim Klinefelter, and I went aboard the barge via the Huntington Bay harbormaster's boat, and we tightened up some of the hatches and used the barge's engine to pump off the remaining product into another barge. When this job was finished, we proceeded to Portland, Maine, via C-130, where a coastal tanker ran aground. For- tunately, the tanker was not leaking. It was refoated with no problems and docked in Portland. As soon as the tanker was secured, it started snowing. response, a civilian salvage man actually swam under the engine and put a patch on the hull. Arctic Response In July 1977, the strike teams experienced their frst true Arc- tic response when a tanker hit an underwater iceberg and spilled approximately 100,000 gallons of product in Baffn Bay, Greenland, more than 300 miles north of the Arctic Cir- cle. We moved equipment from a Navy facility at Cheatham Annex in Virginia, using a C-5, C-130s, and a C-141 airplane and skimmed from the USCGC Westwind and USNS Mirfak. About the author: CWO4 Peter A. Brunk retired in 1980 with 26 years of Coast Guard service. He served as skipper of the Nantucket lightship from March 1970 to July 1971, and as operations offcer for the Atlantic Strike Team from 1975 to 1978. He was skipper of CGC Sledge for the second time when he retired. He now works for IMS Environmental/Hepaco in Norfolk, Virginia. Endnote: 1. In addition to oil and debris, we has tens of thousands of dead ducks. We received an air permit for the burn from the EPA, and used my friend's stump burner to provide air. The 1980s���� by Mr. Miguel L. Bella I arrived at the Pacifc Strike Team (PST) in the summer of 1980, fnding a hangar devoid of any personnel except for the executive offcer and the operations/dive offcer, as most of the crew and the skipper were off battling an oil spill in Mexico. Working hard and with the help of my teammates, I memo- rized pumping capacities for all the equipment, load weights for pallets used on C-130s, and worked hard to learn my storekeeper job. During one drill, we were outftted in chemical suits and played basketball until the bottles emptied and the face- masks collapsed into our faces. That drill taught us what it feels like to run out of air and to deal with the situation calmly. I passed my board qualifying as a response member and was fnally able to carry my own weight. Soon the team was off and running, fully outftted with a new "chem van" and lots of equipment. That was the start of PST's chemical responses. Chemical Response In July 1981, the PST responded to a chemical facility explo- sion in Santa Fe Springs, California. This was the frst time we entered a site in Level C personal protection equipment 1 and the frst time the regional Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) utilized the Superfund. As the EPA did not DC2 Bruce Firth leaves a barge after securing loose hatches. U.S. Coast Guard photo by PAC Dale Pucket. During the night, we received a call about a tanker dragging anchor and in trouble in Salem, Massachusetts. The tanker ran aground, putting holes in the engine room and in at least one tank with No. 6 oil. We could not get to Salem, as all roads were closed due to the blizzard, so I spoke with the commanding offcer of the CGC Spar, and he said he could take us and our equipment to the tanker. Upon arrival, we put our equipment onboard and started setting up the ADAPTS pumping system. During this

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Proceedings Of The Marine - SPR 2015